Top of Site > Company Information > States > Rhode Island
Table of Contents
There are these known makers of wooden clamps:
Consider also visiting Rhode Island Tool Makers , an excellent web site devoted to Rhode Island Makers of woodworking tools, especially planes.
There are no known makers of composite clamps.
There are no known dealers.
There are no famous users or owners.
The firm appears in the Pawtucket City Directory of 1887, and 1888, with substantially similar ads, as a pattern and model maker. However, the 1888 ad has a line "also, a Patent Improved Clamp, for Piano and Cabinet Makers."
The firm's address is given as: "in Cole Bros.' Machine Shop, No. 17 Bayley St., Pawtucket, R.I."
The firm was founded by Rufus Bliss in 1830 (Grieve) or in 1832 (Hall, p 241).
In 1845, Rufus Bliss sold half his interest to cousins. The partnership thus formed took the title of R. Bliss and Company.
In 1874, the firm re-organized as a stock company, taking the name of R. Bliss Mfg. Company. It lasted until 1913.
From 1915 through 1918, J. H. ONeil of Pawtucket Rhode Island advertised itself as the successor firm, with products "wood screws and wooden specialties".
In 1921, R. Bliss Mfg. Co. reappeared in the City Directory. The last entry in the City Directories was 1935.
In 1889, William J. Hood Mfg. Company produced hand and bench screws. Employees included Miss Annie G. Hood (living at the same address as William) as bookkeeper, and Charles O. Hood (176 Central St) as foreman.
In 1869 Thomas D Rice with John Salisbury were "wood turners, and fancy wood workers", at 107 Mill Street, opposite Central, in Central Falls. By 1879, the entry for Thomas D Rice and Co described the work as "fancy wood workers, enamelers, japaners". By 1880, the description was shortened to "fancy wood workers".
Wm. J. Hood joined with Thomas D Rice and Co to form W.J. Hood and T.D. Rice Mfg. Company in time to be listed in the 1890 Pawtucket City Directory, with an entry as "wood workers, hand and bench screws, and enamelers".
In 1898, Wm. J. Hood died, but the firm continued to do business through 1902.
In 1902, the firm was bought by Narragansett Machine Company who employed Rice as foreman.
The firm was established in 1882 for the purpose of manufacturing foot-power lathes. They incorporated in '89 as Narragansett Machine Company.
From 1889 to 1890; their address was Providence RI. After 1890, the address was Pleasant Avenue, in the Woodlawn section of Pawtucket, RI.
In 1902, Narragansett bought the firm of Hood and Rice.
Major products vary over the years, with a gradual shift from wood to metal. The last year when wooden clamps were made is unknown.
On 14 January, 1948, Manufacturer's Trading Co of New York bought the plant.
The firm came into existence in 1915, the successor of R. Bliss Mfg. Cob., and it lasted until 1918.
In 1921, the successor firm was R Bliss Mfg Co.
last revised and validated
Copyright © 1996- Wooden Clamp Journal